British History 2:
From the French Revolution to World War II
Topic: "Majesties and Royal Highnesses"
by Laura Cenicola & Mareike Aumann
- List all the titles Edward has had in his life.
- Did Edward support the Royal Army or did he oppose it? Why/why not?
- Did Edward's father, George V, approve of his son's relationship with Mrs. Wallis Simpson or didn't he? And how about the whole Royal family? Give reasons.
- Name the three options Stanley Baldwin gave King Edward VIII for his future plans with Mrs. Wallis Simpson. Which one did Edward choose and why?
- How did the British press try to influence the common people on their opinions towards Mrs. Wallis Simpson? What did they publish in the newspapers?
- Did Edward regret his decision to abdicate? Why do/don't you think so?