British History 2:
From the French Revolution to World War II
Topic: "Majesties and Royal Highnesses"
by Laura Cenicola & Mareike Aumann
- Does the sonnet follow the traditional Petrarchan setup or not? If not, what is different about it?
- What kind of picture of England does the sonnet convey?
- Over the years there were six kings who carried the name George. Which of them do you think the poem refers to?
- Who or what do yout think the 'glorious Phantom' could be? Could it be related to an event on Europe's mainland, and if so to which one?
- How does the author feel about the overall situation? Find literal devices.
- Do you think Shelley was in favour of political power, or was he rather an advocate for liberty? Have a look at his bibliography to find out.